Queen City Animal Hospital is proud to be one of the few animal hospitals in the Charlotte, NC area that offers a full panel of veterinary services for exotics, including birds, small mammals (ferrets, rabbits, and rodents), reptiles, and amphibians. Just because a veterinarian sees dogs and cats does NOT mean that they are comfortable seeing exotics! Several of our doctors at QCAH took extra time during their veterinary school training to focus on the unique aspects of being a veterinarian for exotics. We offer a full service of preventative care for your special pet and will work with you to ensure that he or she remains healthy and happy.
Are you aware that birds, rabbits, and small mammals can become ill and rapidly decline in less than 24 hours? It is also helpful to know that a reptile can be ill for months or even years before they start acting sick! These are just two of the many reasons why it is imperative to have a veterinarian that is competent and skilled in treating exotic animals. The following is a small sampling of exotic services we provide at Queen City Animal Hospital:
- Yearly health examinations: We recommend yearly examinations for all exotics. Because the lifespan of some of our exotic patients is relatively short, we often recommend twice-yearly examinations.
- Sterilization surgeries: We offer spay and neuter surgeries for rabbits, rodents (rats, mice, hamsters, chinchillas, gerbils, guinea pigs, and sugar gliders), and ferrets.
- Other surgical procedures: We also offer other surgical procedures for ferrets, rabbits, rodents, birds, reptiles, and amphibians. They include mass removal (tumors, abscesses), laceration repairs, limb amputations, enucleation (eye removal), bladder stone removal, egg binding release in birds, and much more.
- Dental procedures: We offer the same prophylactic teeth cleanings for ferrets as we do for cats and dogs. In addition, we provide dental care for rabbits and rodents. These pets have teeth that continuously erupt throughout life and may require routine floating or “grinding” of the overgrown teeth to ensure an easy time eating food and drinking water. We also can easily perform teeth trimming for rabbits or rodents that have overgrown incisor teeth.
- Sick exams: There are many reasons why your exotic pet could be ill. They include upper respiratory infections, slowing of the stomach and intestinal tract, poor diet, injuries, and much more. We are highly trained to understand the unique ways your exotic pets may show these signs.
- Beak, nail, and wing trims: We offer this service during routine appointments for all bird patients.
- Consults on bird behavior: These include feather picking, destructive behavior, and much more.
- Nutritional consults: The diet for all exotics is vastly different from dogs and cats. We will work alongside you and your pet to ensure that their diet is healthy and will lead to many years of life.
- Laser therapy: We are excited to provide laser therapy support as another way to promote healing, reduce inflammation, and relieve pain in our exotics species. Read about laser therapy on our website!
Husbandry consultations:. Properly caring for an exotic pet is very important! Please visit our exotics husbandy page for more information!